The National Health Reform Agreement, or NHRA for short, is a significant piece of legislation that aims to improve the healthcare system in Australia. The agreement was signed in August 2011 by the Federal Government and all the states and territories, with the aim of creating a more equitable and transparent healthcare system.

Under the NHRA, the Federal Government is responsible for funding 45% of the growth in public hospital services, while the states and territories are responsible for the remaining 55%. This funding is delivered through a combination of block grants and activity-based funding.

One of the key objectives of the NHRA is to improve the quality of healthcare services. To achieve this, the agreement sets out a range of performance indicators that hospitals and health services must meet. These include reducing waiting times for emergency department visits and elective surgeries, improving patient satisfaction, and reducing the rate of hospital-acquired infections.

Another important aspect of the NHRA is the development of nationally consistent data and reporting systems. This includes the establishment of the National Health Performance Authority, which is responsible for monitoring and reporting on the performance of the healthcare system.

The NHRA also aims to improve access to healthcare services for Indigenous Australians and people living in rural and remote areas. This includes the provision of additional funding for Indigenous health services and the establishment of a National Rural Health Commissioner to address the specific needs of rural and remote communities.

Overall, the NHRA represents a significant step forward in the reform of Australia`s healthcare system. By providing greater funding and accountability, as well as improving the quality and accessibility of healthcare services, the agreement aims to deliver better health outcomes for all Australians.

By admin

Related Post